Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Canadian Half

my mother is not from vancouver
in fact
she doesn't like it very much here, i can tell that the only reason she is here is because she loves my strange father more than she understands. she is from montreal and all of you who know montreal know that the people speak french and are damn proud of it too
i think if we were living there right now she would refuse to speak english to us, ever, my poor father who is the only non bilingual of the family would suffer shamefully from the wrath of my mothers french temper 
she is the epitome of a proud french canadian
her last name is Gauthier which i believe every 5th person in Montreal shares (ok so maybe every 20th) and her fathers names is Jean-Baptiste (très français)
she is the only child to her two black parents and i know that her family has been here for several hundred years & they have been catholic for nearly equally as long. they are fortunate to have lived up north where there is much less racism rather than virginia (my fathers grandfather told him 'don't you marry that negro or your grandmother'll curse you from her grave')my grandpa worked very hard his whole life enabling them to buy a very nice home in senneville and allowing my grandmother stay home all day & chain smoke
unfortunately they are also rather snooty
Montreal Panorama

No comments:

Post a Comment